Monday, December 30, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?






To learn more about It's Monday! What Are You Reading? visit Mentor Texts


Goodbye 2013, Hello 2014! 

I set a goal for myself on goodreads.com of reading 150 books in 2013. I'm glad to say I met my goal and exceeded it. I did record many picture books that I read aloud to my students and to my own kids at home. But hey, picture books are books!

For 2014 I am going to set a goal of 200 books.  I invite you to join me in a 2014 Goodreads Challenge. It's a very measurable New Year's Resolution.


Both of these books are on our Newbery Bookclub list. Our  club is winding down. (Our last meeting will be on January 27th to watch the Newbery announcement.) They are broadcasting it online here.
16089515 
This book gave us a bit of a surprise. We were expecting a funny book and while this book has many funny parts, it is much more of an adventure book. 

Having heard the surprise from several of our book club members I did not have high expectations. I guess I thought that since it wasn't what we expected that the book wasn't any good. I have been pleasantly surprised! This is one that I am always delighted to return to and look for times to pick up. 

~~~~~
15760528
Hattie Ever After is a book from the Newbery hopefuls list that our book club has been reading through. All in all, I enjoyed this book. It has been one that the group has neglected as a whole. Mostly I think it's the cover. The boys won't touch it because it's about a girl and the girls aren't all that interested in it because it's historical. After reading it I know that the girls will love it and it even has Chrisitan influences. Hattie prays multiple times. 
 
Here's my in depth review.


AR level: 4.6

Grade appropriate: 3rd grade and up



RATING BREAKDOWN:

Overall: 4/5

I really enjoyed the book and it was a quick read. But I was just so distracted by Hattie’s naivety. As a child I would have eaten this book up. And I know there are elementary/middle grade girls out there like me who are innocent and naïve and will love Hattie for it. Even included prayer and spirituality.

Creativity: 5/5

Unlike any others on our Newbery possibles list.

Characters: 3/5

Hattie was likeable and our elementary girls will love her, but I can’t get over her lack of awareness. There is no way a 19/20 year-old could be friends with the guys in this book and not understand their interest in her. I would expect her mindset from a preteen girl, but a grown woman would understand and be more aware of the interest of boys and be more aware of her appearance. It was just not believable.

Engrossing: 5/5

I read it in 2 days…

Writing: 5/5

I enjoyed the writing very much with a few exceptions of wordiness/floweriness. Again the young girls will eat it up.

Appeal to kids: 4/5

I think our girls will love it. I don’t think any boy is going to make it past the cover, much less the first few chapters.

Appropriate length to tell the story: 5/5



CONTENT:

Language: none

Sexuality: none, 2 fairly innocent kisses with her future husband.

Violence: none

Drugs/Alcohol: none

No comments:

Post a Comment